Sunday 7 February 2010

Down by the Sea, Where the Watermelons Grow

Day 24

So....Whitby and York were more than incredible!! I will try and shoot off a quick summary due to the asinine amount of hw I have due Monday. We are talking 124 pages plus 5 worksheets plus an analysis thing of one of our readings. And then on Tues we have a 500-700 word reflection due over our experience at the football(aka soccer) game we went to and the Prime Minister's Questions. I did record everything down on my voice recorder so what I do not write I will remember still. This blog thing is just way too addicting for something that takes so long!! So for the summary....

York was awesome. ACU decided to give us 10lbs to help cover the cost of attractions since it was a group trip. It was awfully nice. In York, it was super cold and the ancient city walls that you could walk on were closed due to ice. Becca and I climbed the tower of the York Minster. 275 steps. Super high. Then we went to the train museum FOR FREE! it was crazy cool! we ate at the most haunted site in York called the Golden Fleece. Got Lasagne. It was good. Left for Whitby at 1630.

Whitby was covered in fog when we got there. Our hostel was right next to the abbey and a huge graveyard with dates going back to the 1700s which all looked super creepy in the fog. Plus the stinkin church bells rang non-stop whenever they pleased and the door to the church was wide open. That just adds to the creepiness.  That night, Ben, Corbo, Bradyn and I hung out on the rocks by the cliffs. hung out means climbed we climbed them along the base of the cliffs by the ocean. Super cool....

This is taking way long and I need sleep and to read so here is the super duper quick version of the trip.

The next day we all went off on our own ways and the group I with had an awesome time! we found the coolest playground ever, hung on the beach, climb rocks to avoid the tide, found whale bones and just walked around the place. Oh, in the morning a few of us got up for the sunrise...epic fall seeing as the sun doesnt really ever show there until April we found out. That night some of us went back to the pier area and hung out. I talked to Brittany about how interesting waves were. haha They are actually really amazing and I got pretty deep about how they represent/mimic Christians really well. Another long story short...I went for a little swim in the North Sea. Tried to run on some rocks in the ocean. Didnt make it before the next wave and I got soaked past my waist. I then ran back the mile or so and up 199 stairs to the hostel to change before I got hypothermia. Sounds bad but it was awesome!

Today on the way back we went to a Nottingham Forest football game vs Sheffield Wednesday. It was pretty intense!!! The SW fans got really crazy when their team scored to tie it up at 1's. The security had to run out and tackle and hold them from getting on the field. pretty stinkin cool!! NF's Reds(Their mascot was robin hood...Sheriff of Nottingham and we drove by the Sherwood Forest) scored their first goal on a penalty kick which was awesome and then they scored another one later which I got a pretty good pic of. Great game! Good showing of culture. haha

When we got back around 1930, I went with some Ryker, Kris, Grant, Wyatt and Steph to Peppers and had a great burger as always. Figured out about church tom and then caught the end of Hot Rod which I had to watch seeing as it is one of the best movies of all time!!!! that is in my opinion of course.

Well that was the trip for the most part. It was so incredible. Now to the not so fun part of studying abroad.....studying. bleh. but....SUPER BOWL TOMORROW!!!!! (technically its on monday because it will be on around 0200 over here) oh...I missed the England vs Wales rugby game today but I got to hear a little of it because Dave our bus driver was listening to it upfront. England won like usual but I am watching Scotland vs Ireland tom. Its almost as big of a rivalry, if not bigger for a lot of peeps. tom will be a GREAT day for sports. we shall see how good of a day it turns out to be for doing hw.

creepy churches, oceanic oceans and fierce football made quite a nice trip. Im out like an innocent convict (because I am imprisoned by hw but really want to go to sleep...get it?)
Laters chums

No comments:

Post a Comment